The Management Academy is a 12-month program designed around five core leadership competencies:
- Personal Values
- Strategic Thinking
- Management Decision Making
- Dealing with and Developing People
- Valuing and Managing Diversity
Virginia Tech faculty and staff members who are experienced managers ready for their next stage in leadership, managers expanding their careers or effectiveness in their current roles, technically gifted employees who want to sharpen their people-leadership skills, or high-potential individuals who wish to prepare for increased leadership roles.
- Develop a clear vision of management strengths and developmental needs
- Provide learning opportunities at levels of the university in a structured, comprehensive and deliberate manner
- Develop bench strength internally to prepare future leaders
- Hone specific skills in key areas
- Build a network of colleagues and support
- Improve the quality of leadership within specific units and across Virginia Tech
The Management Academy is designed to develop Virginia Tech’s leaders and provides multiple approaches to career enhancement and development. The program also provides a structured method for assessing and developing leadership competency. This includes a personalized awareness-building and goal-setting program that complements several other educational activities.
By participating, employees receive:
- Confidential feedback from direct reports, peers, or colleagues
- Direct developmental feedback from supervisors
- Targeted assessment tools to match various leadership roles
- Pre and post assessment: two assessment opportunities spanning seven months
- Comprehensive written reports of assessment results, providing measurable progress of growth in leadership competency
- One-on-one consultation with mentors/coaches
How to apply
Nominations for the 2016-17 Management Academy cohort is now closed.
All applicants will be notified by September 30, 2016 of their selection or non-selection to the program.
The Management Academy helps develop Virginia Tech's up-and-coming leaders. Learn more about the experiences and perspectives of scholars from the 2014-15 Management Academy cohort.