University Organizational and Professional Development offers two leadership development programs.
The Executive Development Institute is designed to strengthen individual and organizational performance and provides a unique development opportunity for high potential leaders from all segments of the university. The recently-revised program provides more professional coaching opportunities for participants and utilizes pre-defined scenarios for the Action Learning Case Study.
This program will enhance understanding of leadership strengths and developmental needs, develop bench strength internally to prepare future leaders, improve the overall quality of leadership at Virginia Tech, and establish a leadership pipeline for succession planning. Participants will:
- Learn about leadership, decision-making, and ethics.
- Learn about visioning and strategic planning.
- Gain an understanding of Virginia Tech’s governance, finance, and legal structure.
- Work as a team to create an action learning case study that focuses on a challenge in higher education.
The Management Academy program is designed to strengthen individual and organizational performance and is specifically targeted to include mid-level leaders from all segments of the university. Leading from the middle can be a demanding role. Integrating team effort(s) and departmental goals with the organization’s overall strategy and vision requires skillful coordination with individuals and groups up, down, and across the organizational hierarchy.
The Management Academy is a cohort-based learning experience designed to assist managers with the development of skills necessary to effectively lead, manage, and support their respective teams, processes, and projects. Participants will:
- Gain an understanding of Virginia Tech’s policies, performance management system, employee grievance process, and finance structure.
- Improve productivity by being better prepared in motivating staff, communicating effectively, and fulfilling their role as an influential frontline leader.
- Receive a variety of tools to assist with leadership and management effectiveness.